Monday 7 March 2011

And the obsession continues ...

I'd been meaning to try the Parallel Helm Weave for ages but didn't have the right sized rings in my chain maille box until recently. There's a fabulous tutorial here on Jeff Olin's fantastic CG Maille website.

I wanted to make it girlie and throw in a few seed beads. My first attempt at a Helm chain looked pretty enough but it looked too similar to the centipede weave I had worked on earlier here. Then it struck me that I could double up the chains, weave them together and make a fabulous wide chain.



This 7 inch cuff bracelet is made from eighty-two 8.5mm bright aluminium rings, seventy-four 4mm gold-plated aluminium rings, twenty-six glass seed beads and a slide lock clasp. I think this is by far my favourite piece to date. Do you like it?



Just for good measure, I made a pair of matching earrings too.



For some reason, I was reminded of JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings when I was making this double-width Helm chain - I kept thinking of Helms Deep, identified in Peter Jackson's film adaptation of the book as "the great fortress of Rohan".

Have a great week, friends.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.