Sunday 15 August 2010

A nice-smelling loony

Mr CraftyAdy rolls his eyes at me .... a lot.

Every time he sees me try to learn a new skill (latest being crochet) or start a new hobby or pull a saucepan or baking tray out of the cupboard whilst declaring my absolute certainty about trying out an experimental recipe, he rolls his eyes. Sometimes the eye-rolling is accompanied by a few comments. I think the words “crazy” or ‘loony’ feature fairly frequently.

Anyway, several months ago, whilst visiting Jessica Jones’s fabulous What About Orange blog, I came across a tutorial for making one’s own deodorant. I got quite excited and decided I wanted to have a go at making my own DIY deodorant.

(Did you roll your eyes just then? Haha!)

I like the idea of making my own deodorant. I like that it has no aluminium and I know exactly what goes into it. I’m not a particularly sweaty person so I don’t mind that it’s not an anti-perspirant – plus we’re getting towards autumn and winter now … not exactly sweat-inducing weather.

Here is my small collection of ingredients.



I am surprised at how easy this is to make – no stove-top cooking necessary.

I followed the recipe on Jessica’s blog and added my own essential oils. I used:
¼ cup bicarbonate of soda
¼ cup arrowroot powder
4 tablespoons of coconut oil
15 drops of essential oil (I used 10 drops of Geranium oil and 5 drops of Lavender oil - two of my favourite essential oils.)

I mixed the powders together, then added the oils and mixed them until it all blended together into a creamy gloop. I found it a little difficult to mix up in the beginning so I zapped it in the microwave for 25 seconds. That softened the coconut oil enough to mix in with the powders better. When I was happy that it was all nicely mixed up and there was a lovely smelling creamy gloop in my mixing container, I poured it into a couple of metal tins. These are from Lush and are perfect for the job. I stuck them into the fridge for an hour and it set into a nice firm block. See?



To use, I scooped a bit out of the tin and rubbed it into my skin. Several hours on, it still smells lovely – my skin that is.

Mr CraftyAdy came into the kitchen whilst I was stirring my concoction.
Our conversation went a bit like this:
“What on earth are you doing, woman?”
“Making my own deodorant! See?” (I show him my tub of gloop proudly.)
He gives me this withering look, rolls his eyes and walks off saying "Deodorant? Ha! Crazy woman."

There is one small problem with this DIY deodorant … it smells so nice that I keep catching myself sniffing at my pits ever so often! Mr CraftyAdy walked past a few minutes ago when I happened to be doing a quick spot of pit-sniffing – that earned me a double-take and more eye-rolling. Poor Mr CraftyAdy - I am sure he thinks he is the only sane one in our slightly loony household.

I might be a loony – but at least I am a nice-smelling loony!

Hope your weekend is going great, friends.

4 comments:

  1. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret....all the best people are!

    Never a truer word spoken.

    I love the film "Alice".......and not just cos of (drool) Johnny Depp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Clair!
    Alice is good, isn't it? And Mr J Depp is terrific - although I personally think that Captain Jack Sparrow is JD's most sensational role to date. I love Jack Sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I much prefer home-made stuff and, whilst I've never made my own deodrant, my sister-in-law makes her own soap (and keeps the rest of the family supplied) and I tend to use natural things for cleaning products rather than buying chemicals from the supermarket. I've had to experiment as I have so many allergies.

    My other half doesn't roll his eyes - he's just constantly amazed that I can make things and recently the comments have been along the lines of: I can't believe you made that so fast! He's also very, very appreciative that he's off the hook now for buying birthday / Christmas presents (except for mine!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a recipe for deodorant a wee while ago and was tempted to give it a try but then lost the blog it was on.
    Sounds good, so I am following you now and will be back for the instructions when I get a free afternoon.
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.